Friday, September 17, 2010

James Gurney Workshop

As many of you may know I teach at Watts Atelier. On behalf of The Atelier I am pleased to announce that James Gurney, creator of Dinotopia, is doing a workshop/demonstration on October 15th 2010. This is what Mr. Gurney has to say about the workshop on his blog


"October 15, Encinitas (near Carlsbad) California

Come join me for a special half-day workshop at the Watts Atelier,founded by academic master Jeff Watts. I’ll be offering an information-packed afternoon with two lectures and demos, and lots of discussion and Q and A.



Lectures include:
“Plein-Air Pioneers.” History and modern practice of plein air painting and sketching, with detailed illustrations of my oil, watercolor, and oil set-ups.


“Color and Light.”An hour-long illustrated talk covering the key concepts most useful for realistic painting. I'll have an advance copy of the new book, but sales copies may not be available quite yet.

Plus, a portrait demo using water-soluble colored pencil sketching and water brush technique.

The fee is $45.00. Space is limited and quickly filling, so be sure to sign up soon. Watts Atelier can be reached at (760) 753-5378."

For anyone who can make it, I can't recommend this enough. Plus I will be there, and it would be great to meet any of you that I have not met before, and to see any of you I have not seen in awhile.